Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Being Thankful

Being Thankful

At the beginning of November, we see all kinds of people sharing how they are thankful or what they are thankful for.  I saw one Facebook post which stated - "November, the month that people who usually complain and whine on Facebook share how they are thankful."  That is meant to be a joke, but isn't there truth to it?  Yes, the month of November reminds us to be thankful and it is the month of Thanksgiving, but what if we actually WERE thankful?  What if we were thankful for the little things?  What if we were thankful for EVERYTHING?  
"For everything God created is good, and nothing is to be rejected if it is received with thanksgiving." 1 Timothy 4:4
As moms, our children look to us to show them how to see the world around us.  It is up to us to guide their attitude to the situation and circumstances around them.  When we are grateful for the little things, our attitude changes.  A miracle occurs.  It is God preforming this miracle, but our openness with a grateful heart that make is possible for Him.  Being a mom is messy.  We struggle and deal with messes all day, all the time.  How can our mess be beautiful?  It all depends on how we look at it.  How can baby food smeared all over the high chair, floor and walls be beautiful?  How can my tired, screaming baby in the middle of the grocery store be beautiful?  How can my life be beautiful when my child wakes me up at 5:30AM?  Consider being thankful for the food that is smeared all over the kitchen.  Being thankful for the voice and breath of that baby.  Being thankful for the warmth of your child's skin under the blankets in your bed (yes, at 5:30AM!).  
A few weeks ago, my daughter came home from school and was a nightmare!  She was crying and whining about EVERYTHING and was quite vocal about her discontent.  I could feel my anger rising.  I was very frustrated with her.  In that moment, I decided to try something new.  I decided to seek out what in the world I could be thankful for in that moment.  What could I POSSIBLY be thankful for in that moment?!  I sat down and voiced out loud to her what I was thankful for.  "I am thankful that my daughter has a voice and that she can speak.  I am thankful for the fact that my daughter feels comfortable enough in this home that she can let out her frustration."  She suddenly stopped crying and got quiet.  My anger ebbed and we gave one another a much needed hug.  The miracle occurs when you change your perspective and focus on what there is that IS beautiful in a messy situation.   As a mom, there are so many little things to be thankful for.  Little toes, that first smile that fills a baby's whole face, freshly washed baby hair & the sweet smell of that, warm snuggles under soft fleece blankets, the pride of a child learning to do something for the first time, the list goes on and on for us.  Consider opening yourself up to these miracles that God desires to give you.  Your life will still be messy, you are a mom!  But there is always some beauty to every mess.  
I have challenged our MOPS group to consider adding to their MOPS journals 5 'little things' that they are thankful for, today, right now, in the everyday mess that is their mommy lives.  Consider taking up this challenge.  A miracle awaits.
"Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."  Philippians 4:8





No comments:

Post a Comment