Monday, December 2, 2013

Advent

Today is the 2nd day of Advent.  What?  What in the world is Advent?  We talked about Advent at MOPS, last week.  Advent is the season of waiting with hope.  The preparing and waiting for the Christ child to be born.  Advent is often lost in the hustle and bustle of this season, as are many of the real purposes and meanings of Christmas.  Advent is a season to prepare our hearts for Christ and enjoy the time of waiting.  Waiting doesn't ever sound like much fun, though, does it?  Our society stresses busy, hurry, fast, go, go, go.  Waiting is boring.  But waiting can bring joy.  Waiting can bring peace.  Waiting with hope is worth the effort.  At MOPS, we planted paper white lilies to focus ourselves and also to have a way of teaching our children about the season of Advent.  The bulbs planted represent our hearts and our lives before Christ comes.  We place the bulbs in the dark and then wait.  The darkness is our lives before we welcome Christ.  It is cold & dark.  In 4 weeks time, the bulbs grow into beautiful, white flowers - just in time for Christmas.  This represents our hearts and lives with Christ in them!  We are now beautiful and white - the darkness is gone.  The wait is over.  We blossom with life.  In this way, we remember how Advent begins as a dry flaky bulb and ends as a blooming flower.  Thank you, God, for Christ at Christmas, may he bloom in our hearts.  "Therefore, be patient, brethren, until the coming of the Lord.  The farmer waits for the precious produce of the soil, being patient about it, until it gets the early and late rains."  James 5:7


Mother's Advent Prayer
Dear God,
Help me to plan this beautiful Advent season with Your will for my family in my heart.  Deliver me from my desires to be the perfect mother, the craftiest mother, the most organized mother.  Deliver me from the desire to impress others with my clean house, cooking skills, perfect photos, and dazzling presents.  Keep me humble, and help me to lead my family towards You, even when it isn't the most popular way.  Even when others don't approve of my methods.  Even when I get funny looks or ridicule from people.  Stay with me through this season.  Help me to be patient and loving to my family, especially when tight schedules and busy hands create stress.  Help my family stay focused on You.  Even though Christmas is a lot of work for mothers, keep me prayerful, and remind me to offer up my struggles and sufferings.  help me to make good decisions, and to walk the narrow path.  Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment